Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Take Time to Make Time

Hello! It's me again. I hope no one has hotlined me for blog abuse.
I could say I've been busy but the truth is I've been lazy.
DISFUNCTIONAL or NOT?
My oldest daughter Macy is getting ready to graduate from middle school.
She has told everyone she has come in contact with that she wants a surprise
party and gifts. Lots of gifts. I decided that she was right she did deserve to
celebrate the end of her middle school years and the beginning of a new era.
So we planned the party a week before graduation. She would be spending the
weekend at her Dad's and he could bring her in and she would never suspect
a thing. Her Dad and I have been divorced since she was about 4 so part of the
surprise was that both sides of her family had gathered together at one place in
her honor. We have not been together like that since her third birthday.
It turned out to be an amazing day as disfunctional as it might sound. We all
ate, played volleyball,shared memories, ate some more and enjoyed the beautiful day!
Macy is a very special young lady and her family is very important to her so this day was
one that I am sure she will remember the rest of her life.
When parents get divorced it is important to remember that when the dust settles the kids
are still standing there loving both parents the same. It is up to the parents to work through
their own problems and make a life for the children that shows them that you still respect
each other as adults and can work together to raise them even though you are not living
in the same house. The step parents also have to be understanding and compassionate
when it comes to the children.Their attitude is just as important as the actual parents.
I do realize that every situation is different but the kids are still just kids.
They didn't ask to be part of a divorce or any other drama that parents have in their live.
I am thankful that Macy knows that she can always count on her Mom and her Dad no
matter where we live or what is going on in our lives.

No comments: