Friday, February 6, 2009



Popcorn

We recently celebrated the 100th day of school. For a math lesson I had my mom come in and make old fashioned popcorn like they used to make in the 80s. My class says that all the time and it makes me feel so old. I nicely remind them that a long time ago was like in the 50s or 60s NOT the 80s.
Anyway, mom brought the same pan that she popped it in for me as a kid. Yes it is still in one piece and no it is not an antique.
We counted kernels and then the popped corn and then we ate it of course. It was so delicious!! It is one of those foods that bring back memories. Like the drive- in movies or being able to see the state school fireworks from our front yard. Now the trees are to high and we have to get closer to see. Even better, watching Dukes of Hazard and Dallas on Friday nights after we had been treated to frozen pizza.
Popcorn made on the stove is something that kids these days have not been exposed to. We were reading a Little House on the Prairie Book and they talked about what a treat it was when Ma made them popcorn on the stove. One of my kids said, "Well how do you do that?" So I decided it was time they knew how it was done way back in the 80s. It turned out to be quiet the lesson and now the lost art of making popcorn on the stove is out of the vault.

No comments: